Thursday, March 25, 2010

This might sound like a PSA, but please read anyway :)

Meet Clifton


Ben and I went to Publix tonight as one of many errands after work. I was in the mood for sushi, he had plans to make spaghetti at home, so we decided to go to Publix where I naturally trust fresh sushi more and Ben can stock up on food storage with BOGO items. He went one way and I went to the fish stand where I stood  and blankly looked at the available (and undesirable) sushi and fish slices.




Clifton, the lone seafood dept. worker, asked if he could help me. 

"Can I help you finsd anything?"
"I'm not really sure what I'm looking for..."
"I could help you find something else around the store if you'd like."
"No... I'd wanted sushi, but you don't have any made that I'm in the mood for. Fish would be nice, but I want something I don't have to cook."

Enter Ben. 
I explain to Ben that I'm feeling sort of BLAH and not really sure what I want. Ben and I discuss the pros and cons of getting a raw piece of fish. 

Pro:
-Its light.
- I like fish

Con:
- Mom would never let me cook it at home
- I can't decide which of the two rubs or plain slices I want 

Clifton, who had been listening the whole time, chimes in:

"If you pick out which fish you'd like you can pick one of the seasonings I have here and I'll marinade it specially for you. And I can steam it here, too."

Ben and I both have our mouths hanging down. He's offering to prepare and cook my fish for me?! Who does that sort of nice thing ?!

"So how long have you been working at Publix?" -Ben
"Two years. One year in this department"- Clifton
"Are you a manager yet?" -Ben
"Not yet. We'll see if anyone has something to say about that in the future."- Clifton
"I have a friend who has worked at Publix for years because he thinks they would be a great corporation to work for and they only promote from within." - Susannah
"Yeah. I love it here. It feels like family. Everyone has the same morals I do." -Clifton

Once Clifton starts seasoning and steaming the fish:
"You know, he's just a good guy. I love that he was nice to you even after I showed up. He wasn't just flirting with you, he's really just being a nice guy."- Ben

Tonight Clifton went completely out of his way to be as accommodating as possible for no reason than to just please the customer. I wasn't in a bad mood, but I was feeling pretty out of it and Clifton brightened my day so much. 
It was so C.H.A.D. (Charitable Hands Are Divine). He didn't know we're preparing to get married in less than a week and I've had a really long day trying to get last-minute things done. Random acts of kindness, people. Do it. 

Here's to everyone who is just a nice person. It's noticed and appreciated. Thank you! 

See full size image

Where shopping is a pleasure!

3 comments:

  1. That's such a Publix thing to do! Go Clifton! Did you put a good word in with his manager? Thanks for the warm fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extra points for the rhyme in the tittle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say...at least at the Publix down here, I love to go there and not just because the people are nice (they ARE) but because all of the baggers are...um...elderly gentlemen and I love love LOVE to see them flirt with the um...elderly ladies and they ALWAYS take their bags out to the car for them. It makes my face crinkle up and I get a little teary because it's just so sweet!

    It's just sweet old people love...Happening every day at Publix!

    ReplyDelete

We want to hear your comments, but have updated our comment settings due to a high number of spam messages. We hope you understand and still take the time to share your thoughts!