Sunday, January 3, 2010

All Good Things Must Come to an End... Or Beginning :)


Dear Ben,
Thank you so much for this unforgettable trip. I am so lucky to be with someone spontaneous enough to pack all his snow gear and go on a trip with one night's notice. I love that you support me in my crazy ideas and that you inspire me to try new things. Thank you for listening to a lot of Jason Mraz, not forcing me to drive in the snow, literally taking the "road less traveled", teaching me to snowboard, letting me pick out your new clothes, sharing meals with me, and finding antique stores for me to peruse.
I am so relieved to know that you are just as passionate about our planet, helping others, and traveling as I am. Talking to Steve, the third-world handmade wares shop owner, with you was one of the highlights of my trip. Let's support others the way he does! I feel so inspired, and know that you are, too. Steve was right-- we are a "good fit."
You made this New Year's so special for me. What better way to start a new year than with someone you love? I plan on sticking to my New Year's Resolution. You can count on that.
I'm looking forward to all the fun and adventure we'll have in the future!

Yours,
Susannah


They call them the Blue Ridge Mountains for a reason!





We saw a pack (is that the right word? Pack?) of these deer crossing the Blue Ridge Parkway at night when we weren't supposed to be there. It was amazing to see the snow that had only been touched by these wild animals! How special :)





HAPPY NEW YEAR!
We celebrated by going to an impromptu fireworks show at t
he ski mountain. We had no idea there would be such a good show! Ben was in awe... They had SIX grand finales! We were worried that we wouldn't be able to even see the fireworks (firesparkles) because of really thick fog, but it turned out even cooler-- the lights reflected off the fog for a very cool effect.




Ben hasn't been anywhere
until he's done a handstand there... Including slippery rocks beside a rushing river in 20 degree weather beyond a "Stay Behind Wall" sign. That's my boy!







We drove to Linville Falls and had to hike .4 mi through the snow to get to them. That meant it was deserted, though, and BEAUTIFUL!







Told ya there were lighted crosses on a hill...





Ben taught me to snowboard! Thanks to Emily's board, boots and pants, Ben's old jacket and goggles, and Melissa's hat, 1/2 price mtn. pass, and 3 hours together, and a potato chip :)


5 comments:

  1. that is AWESOME!!!! I'm so happy you had a good time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Ben the Wonderful has a death wish. On a rock? With your track record? Really? Is your orthopedist okay with this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! Fun way to spend the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how cute are you guys?? and i love the first picture of this post. its awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite post so far - you guys really are a good fit!

    ReplyDelete

We want to hear your comments, but have updated our comment settings due to a high number of spam messages. We hope you understand and still take the time to share your thoughts!