Thursday, January 14, 2010

Here Comes the Bride's List...


It's 5:18 a.m. I'm awake after a few good hours of sleep for the third night this week (and it's only Friday). We haven't even been engaged a week, our sealing and celebration plans are pretty simple, and plenty of family and friends have sincerely offered to help, yet I keep getting startled awake with ideas and things to do in the short amount of time between now and April 2nd. I'm so glad that date works for everybody and so relieved and happy to be married to Ben as soon as possible, but 2 months sure isn't enough time for an event planner to organize something amazing! It's miracle intervention time :)

Part of my overwhelm-edness (I think I made that word up. It's 5:18 am. Did I mention that?) is that I have probably eight separate idea and to-do lists floating around my purse (where there is also a blank pad of paper for when inspiration strikes for another list) telling me how to plan this celebration. See, in the last five days we got engaged, went to Atlanta for 2 days, met my dad for the first time in years, I started a new job, Ben has been working, we've had a few nights of church activities, and looked at buying a car for me. All things that are not only time-consuming, but emotionally and physically draining, as well. There just hasn't been a lot of time to sit down and organize all the fun things I've thought about and we've talked about.

Time to organize a little better. I've said I just need a solid amount of time, the internet, and an Excel spreadsheet to get a to-do list, projected budget, and timeline sorted out. I didn't necessarily expect that time to be 5:18 in the morning, but since I've complained I guess I'll take what I can get.

Here it goes.

TO-DO (general) IN A SLIGHTLY TIME SENSITIVE ORDER:
  • Book photographer and take engagement pictures
  • Pick out invitations with Ben
  • Compile addresses and send invitations
  • Design celebration dress
  • Find tailor to make dress (how long?)
  • Check local florists for flower availability, cost
  • Make hotel arrangements for out-of-towners
  • Decide food menu
  • Arrange for certain menu items to be made/ delivered/ set-up
  • Rent food equipment if necessary
  • Interview possible artists and hire
  • Hire strings musicians
  • Make guest gifts
  • Buy decorations
  • Arrange as much help as necessary
ALREADY DONE (Isn't it such a good feeling to check things off a to-do list?)
  • Set date
  • Reserve temple
  • Inform family, friends
  • Family making travel plans
  • Sarah's hotel
Ok. I feel a little better. I'm going back to bed now. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! I'll be sure to send you my famous Handshake in an Envelope, since I won't be able to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats. I kept hearing through the grapevine that you were getting married, so I thought I would check it out. Your ring is beautiful. Good luck with all the plans. I am trying to come, so I hope to see you in April.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought about calling RNE and having a HS string quartet play? Or is that even still something that you want to do... I'm not sure if it fits with the carnival theme or not?

    ReplyDelete

We want to hear your comments, but have updated our comment settings due to a high number of spam messages. We hope you understand and still take the time to share your thoughts!